In this intro post, I give my two cents about what I believe the game Animal Crossing is. Find it after the break!
I think the first post I'm going to make is an intro to the series. When I'm playing Animal Crossing, be it New Leaf, Wild World, or the original for the gamecube (or the n64, as the case may be), I get people who say the same thing: "Is that Animal Crossing? Isn't that like the sims?" Well, the answer is no. The sims is a real (albeit strange) world simulator, focusing on the character's mood and goals. Animal crossing is basically just a laid back game where you set your own goals and pace. It's less of a simulator and more of a de-stressing game. I've actually explained that before, and was asked another question, which I also tend to hear about it: "If it's such a simple, stress free game, then why does everyone constantly talk about how hard it can be to get bells? Why are there apparently so many methods to earn them?" This connects with the first question in multiple ways. First, Animal Crossing, New Leaf in particular, is not a simple game. If you REALLY wanted to tack on the "Simulation" tag, you would have to call it an "economy sim." The games have tons of ways to make bells, such as selling things, finding money in rocks (yes. Hitting rocks with a shovel DOES get you paid), and even investing in the "stalk market." The stalk market is a system in which you buy turnips every sunday, and sell them the next week before they go bad. This is actually just as risky as the regular stock market is in real life, if not more, as the value of turnips will randomly and without warning drop or raise. One feature that was implemented in New Leaf is Re-tail's store, which means you can sell things at a higher value than you could at the series' main store. In conclusion, Animal Crossing is a very unique, complex, and relaxing game that is good for all ages. Thank you for bearing with me!
-Captain Ambiguous
No comments:
Post a Comment